Boxing: Teofimo López does not consider the rematch against Vasiliy Lomachenko

Teofimo Lopez is exploring moving up the division after his lightweight title fight against George Kambosos Jr. on October 4 in New York City, and said in an interview that he has no plans to schedule a rematch with Vasiliy Lomachenko.

Lopez has expressed interest in moving up to 140 pounds, where Josh Taylor is the unified champion, and starting fighting there.

“I did everything in 135, I turned [campeón] undisputed, “Lopez said during the interview.” Now it’s about getting to 140, going undisputed at 140, God willing, and just continuing. “

He wouldn’t be the first high-profile fighter to consider fighting at 140 pounds, as Gervonta Davis also said he’s considering a move to that weight after making his 140-pound debut in June, beating Mario Barrios in Atlanta.

Read more: LMB: Toros de Tijuana approaches 2-3 in the King’s Series by beating Leones de Yucatán 4-3

Lopez also emphasized that he has no interest in a second fight with Lomachenko. Lopez defeated Lomachenko by unanimous decision in his last fight in October 2020.

“There is no point fighting Lomachenko,” Lopez said. “I think it’s about moving forward. That’s it, keep moving forward.”

“It all happened for his reasons. That is what he really is. That is, I beat the man everyone said was the man. When the going got tough, he backed off.”

“So now it’s about moving on.”

Read more: Alessia Pizarro the statuesque woman who found salvation in exercise

Lopez said he is instead focusing on fighting the new generation of fighters and said he would fight anyone, but “it’s up to them.”

Beating Lomachenko took Lopez (16-0, 12 KO) to another level of fame. He was initially supposed to fight Kambosos earlier this year, but Lopez contracted COVID-19, delaying the fight until October.

They ended up naked! Passengers lynch thieves in Mexico-Texcoco

.

Leave a Comment